Accomplish A Successful Remodel of Your Eichler Home
Choose the Right Contractor with Proven Experience
Are you planning to update or expand your Eichler home? Many Bay Area homeowners are choosing to modify their existing properties rather than moving to a new place. With meticulous planning and the right contractor, you can protect your investment and maintain the mid-century look you love. Before getting started, read this quick guide and be better prepared for a successful Eichler home remodeling project.
Key to Successful Eichler Remodeling – 5 Useful Tips
- Keep the distinctly Eichler feel intact: Eichlers are known for their indoor-outdoor feel with floor-to-ceiling windows, glass-walled atriums and patio areas, post-and-beam construction, wooden paneling and open-concept floor plans. Consider modifications that will keep that connection with the outdoors. Think about enlarging windows, replacing wooden walls with sliding glass doors and installing skylights to add greater appeal and value. Preserving Joseph Eichler’s design concepts calls for thoughtful home improvements by contractors experienced in this type of remodel.
- Hire the right remodeling contractor: As you solicit bids from multiple contractors, be sure to evaluate their experience, work quality and the scope of similar projects they have completed. If you get a quote that is surprisingly cheaper than the others, avoid the temptation and prevent a botched job with higher costs for fixing the mess.
- Establish a realistic budget: List exactly what you want versus what you need. You don’t have to hold back on visualizing your dream home, but it’s important to be realistic. If your budget allows you to include everything you need and still have room for some of the items you want, that is ideal. If not, you can put the essentials on the priority list and plan for additional modifications at a later stage. For instance, you may want stylish kitchen cabinets and new flooring with a new, open floor plan. Focus on getting the layout redesign for now and you can budget for the floors and cabinets in the next phase.
- Determine the time frame: Major renovations like adding another bedroom or washroom may require you to relocate temporarily. Is it going to be for one month or several? Knowing this in advance will give you the time to research your options and make the right decisions about your project and living arrangements.
- Less is more when it comes to décor: Remember, the philosophy of Eichler design is to bring the outdoors inside. Try not to clutter your home with too much furniture or accessories.
Hire the Bay Area’s Eichler Specialists to Renovate Your Home
At Flegel’s Construction Co., we know how to make your mid-century home more comfortable and convenient while preserving its original character. From wide open entryways to airy living spaces, modern kitchens with customized appliances and new floor plans that utilize space more efficiently, our Eichler specialists seamlessly match the original with the new.
Committed to quality and customer satisfaction, we continue to serve a growing roster of happy customers across the Bay Area, including in Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Mountain View and Cupertino, CA.
For successful Eichler remodeling, contact us online.