Guidelines for Eichler Homes in Palo Alto
Expert Advice from a Trusted, Local Home Improvement Contractor
Guidelines to Preserve Your Palo Alto Eichler Home
Undertaking maintenance or remodeling of your aging Palo Alto Eichler home? The Eichler Neighborhood Design Guidelines, issued by the Palo Alto City Council, are a good starting point. Whether you are replacing expired materials, or adding lifestyle-enhancing elements, these guidelines will help you retain the characteristic features of your Eichler home.
Key Suggestions for Maintaining and Repairing Palo Alto Eichler Homes
The extensive guidelines issued by the Palo Alto City Council cover a variety of aspects important for preserving the design and ethos of Eichler communities. These include:
- Recommendations on placement and design of doors, windows, roof forms and chimneys.
- Advice on cladding materials, form and massing, and other exterior materials.
- Suggestions for constructing basements, first-story additions, carports or garages, in keeping with the privacy requirements of the community.
- Visible impact of upgrades related to mechanical systems, ducting, plumbing, and more.
Here are a few key maintenance tips to help preserve and maintain the characteristic features of your Eichler home.
- Fenestration: Doors and windows are among the most noticeable features of any home. While the guidelines encourage homeowners to improve energy efficiency, they recommend treating or repairing the original windows and doors in place, if possible.
- Consider options, such as adding high-quality clear films, or changing the weather stripping to reduce air infiltration and heat gain.
- If you are replacing a deteriorating window trim or swapping out your single-pane windows for insulated ones, try to maintain the same size, profile and configuration as the original window.
- While replacing entry doors or garage doors, opt for simple, flat appearances and minimal to no glazing, in order to blend into the signature Eichler community look.
- Roof Repairs and Maintenance: The characteristic patterns of fascia, slopes and rafter ends give Eichler home roofs a degree of visual variety while retaining their modernist architectural style. If you are replacing your roof:
- Try to retain the original design, height and profile of the roof, along with a relatively plain appearance.
- Use roofing materials like single ply, foam, tar and gravel, or composite shingles.
- Try to retain the overhanging eaves, exposed beams and soffits or the fascia boards, all of which are defining elements of Eichler homes.
- If you are installing skylights or solar panels on the roof, try to minimize the visual impact of these features to preserve the Eichler look.
- Replacing Exterior Cladding Materials or Paint: While repairing or replacing the existing cladding materials, maintain the vertical wood board or plywood siding. Avoid adding other materials, such as brick, stone, shingles, or vinyl to the exterior walls, as these are not in line with the typical look of Eichler homes. To repaint your home’s exterior, select colors that support the broad, mid-century modern characteristics of Eichler neighborhoods. As far as possible, use only one primary color, along with an additional trim / accent color.
While these are only guidelines, they can help you make informed decisions when you undertake repairs, maintenance or upgrades for your Palo Alto Eichler home.
Hire Palo Alto’s Trusted Construction Contractor for your Eichler Home Repairs or Remodeling
As Palo Alto’s premier home improvement contractors, the team at Flegel’s is well-acquainted with the guidelines for preserving and maintaining Eichler communities. We have extensive experience in repairing and reviving Eichler homes, without detracting from their overall character. With creative designs and skilled craftsmanship, we can transform your Eichler home into a more attractive, functional space that is better suited to your lifestyle and preferences.
Check out our many Eichler home remodeling projects across the Bay Area, including Palo Alto, Mountain View and Sunnyvale, CA. A growing base of happy customers vouches for our consistent service and superior finishes.
Need repairs, upgrades or remodeling for your Palo Alto Eichler home? Set up a consultation with one of the experts at Flegel’s Construction. Call 408-269-1101 or contact us online.