A Glimpse into Interior Design Trends in the COVID-19 Era
2020’s impact on home makeovers is nearly as significant as its impact on our lives, livelihoods, and economies. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to rage across the world, staying home as much as possible remains a key priority in most households. While many families have adapted to the remote learning and working environments, the definitions of dream homes or functional spaces has changed significantly during this year. The evolving wish lists are also driving a rapid change in interior design and home remodeling goals. The experts at Flegel’s Construction offer useful insights into 2020’s impact on home makeovers and design trends.
Top Stay-at-Home Renovation Projects for 2020
Being able to spend more time at home has inspired many homeowners to reassess various aspects of their home interiors. Whether it is furniture, fixtures, wall colors, or repurposing of rooms, homeowners are analyzing the function and appeal of every space in light of their pandemic-driven lifestyle. In fact, it is not just about space maximization alone. Homeowners are also evaluating small details that can add quality touches and high end finishes to the home.
Here are some of the evolving trends that indicate 2020’s impact on home interiors:
- Swapping open floor plans for demarcated spaces: With the entire family spending time indoors, there is an increasing need for dedicated spaces for various activities. This means saying goodbye to open floor plans that lack good acoustics and privacy. Instead, homeowners are keen on adding walls and doors that create defined areas for working, studying, entertaining, and sleeping. Other trends include:
- Adding utilitarian spaces, such as laundry rooms, mudrooms, or a walk-in pantry
- Using solid wood doors for better soundproofing
- Custom built-in storage for accommodating increasing storage needs and reducing clutter
- Creating a dedicated home office space: There is a high demand for carving out some space or repurposing less-utilized areas of the home to create a home office. Whether it is an extension of the living area, a spare bedroom, an attic, or a nook on the staircase landing, home offices are now a popular remodeling trend. While the room itself could double up for other activities, the idea is to ensure a well-lit, private, soundproofed space that allows the peace and quiet you need while you work from home.
- Improving outdoor spaces: Homeowners are prioritizing makeovers for patios or exterior spaces with screened-in porches, better outdoor seating, improvements in landscaping and hardscaping elements, and more. These changes primarily focus on:
- Creating a seamless connection between the outdoor and indoor spaces to bring the outside in and add a touch of greenery to your home
- Building functional features for safely entertaining friends and family, without compromising on the pandemic-related physical distancing protocols
- Adding designer elements: Homeowners are also aiming to create better-looking spaces that add a warm, welcoming vibe to the home. This includes adding a few designer elements as well, such as:
- Brass adorned cabinetry
- Natural wood accents throughout the living areas
- Funky floor tiles and bold wallpapers
- Thoughtfully chosen wall colors, art pieces and statement lighting
2020’s impact on home makeovers has also led to increased spending on non-visible areas, such as installing top-of-the-line HVAC systems for greater comfort and safety indoors.
Quality Makeovers by the Bay Area’s Leading Home Building and Remodeling Contractors
At Flegel’s, we are passionate about designing and delivering attractive and functional spaces that meet your evolving needs and lifestyle choices. You can count on our skilled and experienced home remodeling specialists for clever, space maximizing solutions, outstanding craftsmanship, and consistent customer service.
Our renovation experts have delivered several fabulous home makeovers across the Bay Area.
Looking to customize the spaces in your home to make them more functional and future ready in the COVID-19 era? Count on the experienced home remodeling specialists at Flegel’s Construction Co. Call 408-269-1101 to schedule a consultation or contact us online.