Advice from Your Trusted Bay Area Remodeling Contractor
Keeping within your renovation budget is never easy. No matter how meticulously you plan, a sudden design change or an unexpected discovery may compel or tempt you to spend more. As the Bay Area’s premier remodeling experts, we know that setting a budget and sticking to it is harder than most people imagine. Our renovation experts offer some tips and suggestions to ensure that you don’t go beyond your budget in the middle of a renovation.
Don’t Bust Your Renovation Budget! Here’s How to do it…
Following a thorough process of listing what you want versus what you can afford usually culminates in a well-prepared renovation budget. Once you go through this process and set a figure, follow these 5 keys to keeping within your renovation budget:
- Plan and compare bids: Once you have
decided to go forward with a remodeling project, don’t settle for the first
contractor you find. Ask for referrals from family and friends, do your own
research, and invite a few quotes. While evaluating quotes, avoid focusing on
the bottom line alone. Instead, discuss the proposals with each contractor,
understand the exclusions or hidden costs, and check whether they have:
- Set aside some funds for contingencies
- Priced your project on square footage or an assembly-based approach
- Considered materials that are top-of-the-line, least expensive variety, or somewhere in between
- Plan carefully, look ahead: Combine small projects within the same area, instead of several independent projects in different parts of the home. For example, if your end goal is hardwood flooring throughout your kitchen and dining room, cover both at the same time. Don’t leave one room for later; this will not only be inefficient and costly, but you may also find it hard to procure the same shade or material in the future.
- Communicate: Integrating your construction contractors into the design phase will give you a better understanding of material alternatives, construction challenges and timelines. This will help you make design tweaks early in the process. Moreover, you can reiterate your budget to both teams and maintain adequate checks and balances between design and construction. After all, over communicating is better than potential misunderstandings about your needs or expectations.
- Expect the unexpected, and manage it: Almost every renovation, big or small, will have some setbacks that could potentially derail your budget. Don’t be surprised if issues, such as a hidden termite infestation, mold, water damage, or inadequate electricals come to light during the project. If your contingency funds do not cover these added expenses, consider some trade-offs in your original plan. Go for less expensive, yet quality materials, or reduce a few design elements and stay within your set cost.
- Avoid last-minute design changes: When you are in the renovation mindset, every relevant ad, flyer, or social media pop-up will catch your attention and inspire you with more design ideas. However, the idea is to put things on paper during the design phase, so that the associated timelines and cost of materials and labor is a near-accurate estimate. Try to curb your impulses to make last minute design changes which are likely to balloon your renovation budget.
Stay on Budget with the Bay Area’s Top Remodeling Contractor
With 20 years of experience in quality home improvement projects, Flegel’s Construction understands the importance of keeping within your renovation budget. We offer a seamless remodeling experience that includes:
- An integrated approach involving our clients, designers and contractors
- Detailed mapping of client needs, preferences, budgets and timelines
- Thorough proposals with a breakdown of costs and systematic assembly-line pricing for accurate estimates
- Innovative designs, including features and amenities that meet your renovation goals and budget
- Meticulous project tracking, with timely updates
- Professional touch, superior finish, project completion on-time and on-budget
Happy customers across the Bay Area vouch for our outstanding craftsmanship and consistent customer service.
Partner with Flegel’s Construction to enjoy unique designs and quality makeovers, while keeping within your renovation budget.