Proven Water-Saving Techniques for High-End Landscapes
Innovative Ideas for Your Redesigned, Luxurious Landscaping
After you build a new home, complete a room addition, or remodel your space, the inside of your Bay Area home may look polished and perfect. However, construction can take a toll on your landscaping. You may not have focused on the exterior of your property while the interiors got a makeover. For a picture-perfect home, your lawn and garden should reflect the same upscale ambiance as your house. Your trees must be verdant and healthy to complement the overall appeal of your property. Given the ongoing water shortage in the San Francisco Bay Area, we remind all our customers to think about sustainable practices and water smart landscaping. Our team suggests five proven water-saving techniques for high-end landscapes.
Save Water without Sacrificing a Lovely Residential Landscape
At Flegel’s Construction Co., we take pride in the gorgeous luxury homes we design and build across San Jose, Cupertino, Santa Clara, Mountain View, Campbell, and Palo Alto. Living and working in the area for over three decades, we are very mindful of the need for water conservation. Here are five great ideas to maintain a beautiful outdoor setting with sustainable landscaping:
- Xeriscaping: You can conserve water with drought-resistant cacti and low-water grasses. A cactus collection complements most landscape themes, and some varieties have colorful flowers or interesting spines and forms. Groundcover such as Yerba Buena and native grasses that go dormant in the dry season also help save water without sacrificing your property’s curb appeal.
- Floating covers: Flexible covers can reduce evaporation without marring the therapeutic sound and sights of ponds, fountains, and other water features. Adding plants, shade trees, and creating smaller features can also help you limit water loss.
- Gravel and mulch: Adding a protective ground cover reduces evaporation by preventing erosion, retaining moisture, and nourishing the soil. Choose a high-grade mulch or decorative gravel to add color and texture to your landscape design.
- Underground drip systems: Drip irrigation systems enhance your landscaping in a couple of ways. By hiding the hoses and nozzles, an underground irrigation system provides the moisture your turf, flowers, and trees need without the unsightly mess on the surface. You’ll lose less water to evaporation since the water doesn’t collect on the surface of your yard where wind and sunlight can evaporate it quickly.
- Electronic watering sensors: Smart watering systems now include electronic monitoring sensors. You can schedule irrigation at ideal times to maximize water conservation, i.e., early morning or after sundown. Consider investing in electronic watering sensors that water your lawn on an as-needed basis. Our team can suggest the right system for your Bay Area home.
Flegel’s provides construction consulting for home remodeling and homebuilding. We also design and install landscaping solutions. When you need help with water-saving techniques for high-end landscapes, you can trust our experts to recommend the right features for your property.
Contact us today for indoor and outdoor home makeovers in San Jose, Cupertino, Santa Clara, Mountain View, Campbell, and Palo Alto. We love to brainstorm and educate our clients on water-saving techniques for luxury, custom homes in the Bay Area.