Bring in the Light! Treat Your Eichler Home to New Windows
Trust Eichler Remodeling Experts with Window Options for Your Bay Area Home
Eichler homes are lovely mid-century marvels that have withstood the test of time. Floor-to-ceiling windows let in light and create a minimalist exterior with striking A-frame architecture. Some of these distinctive homes have windows covering a third of the exterior. All those windows bring in the light! However, they also bring in or let out the heat. Work with the skilled and experienced team at Flegel’s Construction to update your Eichler home.
Let’s discuss ways to make your home more energy-efficient with new windows and window treatments without compromising the unique architectural design and distinctive charm:
- Upgrade the single-pane windows that have little to no insulating properties. We suggest double-pane glass with an airtight space between the panes. When pumped with argon or krypton gas, the new windows will insulate your home 3-4 times better than the original ones.
- Coat the exterior window with low-emissivity material to resist heat transfer. Low E windows reflect harmful infrared energy while letting in shorter wavelengths.
- Installing triple pane windows is another option. However, they are extremely heavy, and the thicker framing makes them poorly suited for Eichler construction guidelines.
If replacing all your windows exceeds the budget, we can concentrate on improving the leakiest ones, by:
- Adding an acrylic insert on the inside surface, or
- Replacing the weather-stripping on doors and windows with better insulating materials
Schedule a feasibility analysis with our home construction consultants for affordable ways to improve dated windows and window treatments in your Eichler home.
Window Dressings to Add Privacy and Show Off Your Tall Windows
The expansive windows bring in the light and create a stunning impression. Do you need decorating ideas that won’t detract from the open feel of your Eichler home? Keep window treatments minimal, by:
- Using a ceiling-mounted track to hang floor-length drapes in solid colors. The curtain should span the length of the glass wall.
- Following the geometry of your home. If the window wall extends to the sloped ceiling, simply mount woven shades across the horizontal line just below where the ceiling slope begins.
- Installing motorized shades in neutral tones. This is also a great choice for smaller windows to achieve a cohesive look.
Hire Experienced Eichler Remodelers in the Bay Area to Brighten Up Your Home
Opening up your Eichler home to draw in more natural light involves more than simply choosing new windows and having them installed. You need to consider the orientation of your home, which direction the windows are facing, and how much privacy you need for the space, while allowing in plenty of sunlight.
With years of experience in updating and modernizing gorgeous Eichlers, we know what works, and what doesn’t. Feel free to browse our portfolio of home renovations in Palo Alto, Mountain View, Redwood City, Redwood Shores, San Jose, Sunnyvale, and Los Altos.
For stress-free improvements to Eichler home window walls, you can rely on the team at Flegel’s Construction. Call us at 408-269-1101 or contact us online for assistance with construction projects in your Bay Area home.