5 Ideas For Building A Custom Home In 2019
Step One: Hire an Experienced Builder!
Nothing is more satisfying than living in a home you have envisioned. Your creativity and imagination are not limited to decorating the interiors. You can have a say in the overall structure as well. However, from the building materials and orientation to the floor plan, number of rooms, windows and door sizes, there are many decisions to make. Where do you start and how do you make the most of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity? Our construction experts share 5 ideas for successfully building a custom home in 2019.
How to Build the Perfect Home for Your Family
- Go green: In keeping with the times, consider making energy efficiency a priority. It helps reduce your utility bills and enhances the durability and value of your property. The first consideration is always the orientation of the building. The right location helps maximize solar heat in winter and reduce heat gain during the summer.Ultra-efficient homes also utilize low U-value and E-value frames, renewable energy systems like solar panels, radiant flooring, efficient whole-house systems, proper insulation and smart landscaping around the building. The comfort and savings you will enjoy over the years far outweigh the initial investment.
- Maximize natural light in your design: Abundant daylight provides aesthetic, health and monetary benefits. It makes your home look brighter and more spacious while enhancing your mood and reducing your energy usage. An open floor plan is a good way to start. Incorporating large windows, doors and skylights is the easiest way to flood your house with sunlight. Choose triple pane glass with proper glazing for maximum energy-efficiency. Translucent options allow you to enjoy privacy without obstructing the amount of light that filters through.
- Use renewable materials: Building a custom home gives you the opportunity to include sustainable materials and smart technologies. Using renewable materials like reclaimed wood, green insulation, bamboo and cork flooring or natural wool carpeting allows you to create a durable and healthy home. You can also incorporate advanced technology like smart thermostats and voice-activated home assistants. They will make your life easier and reduce expenses by turning off lights, heat or air conditioning when the home is empty.
- Conserve water: It is one of the most important resources in our lives but it comes at a high price. Installing low-water use appliances, high-efficiency toilets, low-flow faucet aerators and shower heads can significantly reduce your consumption. With outdoor water use accounting for almost 30 percent of your water bill, consider water-efficient landscaping. Grow native plants and install smart irrigation systems like Evapotranspiration (ET) controllers which adjust water usage according to the weather.
- Choose low-maintenance materials: Architectural and metal shingles will generally outlast traditional asphalt, concrete or clay tiles and are also more energy efficient. Brick and stone exteriors require less upkeep than wood. Quartz countertops in your kitchen and bathroom are more stain resistant than natural stone. Choosing materials that require less effort to maintain are easy on your wallet and save time.
Hire an Experienced Builder to Construct Your Dream Home
At Flegel’s Construction Co., we offer the detailed attention that your custom home requires. Our experienced team of designers, construction experts and tradespeople works closely with you to make your dream home a reality.
With our hallmark quality and customer satisfaction, we continue to serve a growing roster of happy customers across the Bay Area, including in Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Mountain View and Cupertino, CA.
For more ideas on building a custom home in 2019, give us a call at 408-269-1101 to set up a consultation or contact us online.