Overcome the Challenges of Renovating an Older Home
Hire the Right Remodeling Contractor in the Bay Area
Is your charming 1900s home feeling a bit cramped or outdated these days? With rising real estate prices, extending the footprint of your house, adding another floor, or making new use of an existing outside structure might be more affordable than moving to a larger or newer property outside the Bay Area. Old houses have character, history and detail that is often lacking in modern construction. You want to preserve this distinct charm and yet, accomplish a satisfying makeover. Here are some useful tips on how to avoid common challenges when renovating an older home.
Steer Clear of Frequent Home Remodeling Mistakes
- Find the right contractor: The key to a successful renovation is finding the right team to upgrade your Eichler, Victorian or Spanish Colonial home. In addition to checking the contractors’ credentials, make sure they have relevant experience. While you want to preserve the traditional look, your contractor must also be adept at resolving any challenges with permits, obtaining materials and tradespeople or changes to the initial plan.
- Check work references: Before signing a contract, ask for recent references of similar work completed by the company and make sure you check them out. There are plenty of instances of botched renovations, incomplete work and contractors disappearing in the middle of the project. It’s the last thing you want to deal with!
- Establish a budget: Without proper planning, it is easy to spend on unnecessary upgrades or overrun your renovation budget. First, determine how much your dream renovations will cost. Then, set your spending limit and priorities. Experienced remodeling specialists can help you properly assess your project’s feasibility, scope and cost.
- Price is important, but not the only factor: The lowest price may be tempting but is not necessarily the best choice. Some companies take short cuts; so, you pay less upfront but more in the long run to fill in the gaps. If budget constraints are limiting the realization of your complete renovation plan, consider scaling back or discuss possible alternatives with your contractor to bring down the overall price.
- Trust your instincts: If the company representatives are evasive, unable to provide references or take days and weeks to respond, be cautious and move on. Your contractor should be easily reachable and willing to answer all your questions.
Trust the Bay Area’s Top-Rated Company for Renovating Your Older Home
At Flegel’s Construction Co. our have been building and renovating homes of all styles and sizes for more than 30 years. Our clients enjoy responsive service, expert advice, quality craftsmanship and a stress-free remodeling process. Count on us for a quality makeover that you and your family will love.
With a firm commitment to quality and customer satisfaction, we continue to serve a growing roster of happy customers across the Bay Area, including in Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Mountain View and Cupertino, CA.
Call 408-269-1101 to discuss the challenges in renovating an older home or contact us online.