Energy Saving Ideas for Bay Area Home Renovation
Remodeling for Energy Efficiency Goes Beyond Weatherization
Are you considering a home improvement project for adding a room, upgrading a kitchen, or specifically, for trimming your energy bills? No matter what the primary goal of your remodeling project, it is always a good idea to make your home more energy efficient. Explore some of these energy saving ideas for your Bay Area home renovation.
Top Methods to Conserve Energy through Home Remodeling
Your home’s energy efficiency is a factor of various aspects. This includes the type and age of construction, local weather conditions, number of home occupants, your overall energy conservation habits, and so on. Adding a home extension or increasing the appliances in your new gourmet kitchen could further kick up the energy bills.
Basic weatherization is an important part of making your home more energy efficient:
- Ensure that the insulation levels in your floors, walls, attic, basement and crawl spaces are at least at the minimum recommended values.
- Ask your contractors to check for air leakage, especially around doors and windows, and reinforce the air sealing where required.
- Undertake necessary roof repairs if it is in poor condition.
- Replace your incandescent bulbs with energy-efficient LEDs. Explore sensor-based or other smart lighting options.
- Install or replace the vapor barrier to improve airtightness and contain moisture levels.
- Change the weather-stripping on your doors and windows.
- Get regular tune-ups for your air conditioner, furnace and water heater.
Here are 5 energy saving ideas that go beyond the basics:
- Complete re-insulation: Consider increasing the insulation in all spaces to optimum performance values. You could also consider complete envelope air sealing, which involves removing and replacing all the existing insulation.
- Appliances overhaul: Your heating, cooling and water heating systems account for the largest portion of your energy bills. Depending on the age of your current systems, explore the possibility of investing in a new HVAC system or water heater. A properly sized, high-efficiency system with smart features will not only reduce your energy consumption, but also add significant value to your home.
- Structural replacements: What is the age of your current roof, doors and windows? While some homes come with lifetime warranties for these fixtures, have you considered investing in more energy-efficient options? Over time, this investment will pay for itself.
- Window placement and treatments: While the Bay Area does not get snow, winters can be damp and cold and summers extremely hot. With proper planning and placement of glass and window coverings, you can control sun exposure in a way that reduces your home’s heating, cooling and lighting costs.
- Soft furnishings: Think about small changes to the interior of your home. The right choice of rugs, carpets and drapes can help keep your walls, floors and windows warm and cozy, or cool and light, as you prefer. This will reduce the load on your heating and cooling systems and help lower your energy costs.
When it comes to home renovation, there is huge potential to minimize your carbon footprint. From switching to solar energy and adopting smart technology, to installing water recycling systems and heated flooring, the possibilities are endless.
Experienced Remodelers for Energy Efficient Home Renovation
At Flegel’s Construction Co. we have extensive experience in remodeling homes to reflect your lifestyle and preferences. Our innovative designers and master craftsmen are passionate about creating functional and luxurious spaces personalized to the last detail. You can also count on us for exciting and cost-effective ideas that improve the energy efficiency of your home.
Happy customers across the Bay Area, including Palo Alto, Mountain View, San Jose, Cupertino, and Campbell, CA vouch for our quality workmanship and consistent service.
Exploring cost-effective solutions for your home? We can discuss several energy saving ideas for your Bay Area home renovation. Call Flegel’s Construction at 408-269-1101 or contact us online.