Begin by Choosing the Right Builder
Constructing a custom home is both an exciting and fulfilling experience if you know how to go about it. Determining what you want, creating a budget and choosing the right builder are critical steps to ensure the seamless execution of your dream project. Our team at Flegel’s Construction offers a useful guide for building your new home.
7 Steps for Successful New Home Construction
- Define your goals: Think about what you want to achieve, whether it is practical and possible, and how much it will cost you. Make lists of ‘essential’ and ‘nice to have’ features so that you can strike a balance. Always have a plan B to avoid disappointment.
- Make a budget: This will help determine what you can afford. Include the cost of land, local fees and taxes, design and engineering, home construction and landscaping. You should also think about interior décor, furnishings and furniture expenses. Remember to keep a 10% margin in your budget for contingency.
- Find the right area: Before purchasing land, drive around the area and see if it will suit your immediate and long-term lifestyle needs. Investigate the zoning on your potential property and make sure that your chosen design will fit onto the lot considering orientation, setbacks and such. Evaluate local conveniences and amenities such as public transit, parking, schools, hospitals, parks, shopping, grocery stores, restaurants, leisure activities and entertainment. Recent statistics about the crime rate are good indicators of a safe neighborhood. If you want to go a step further, spend some time in a local park and talk to willing area residents who may offer insights into the community.
- Choose wisely when hiring your architect and builder: Find the right professionals to execute the design and construction of your dream home. ‘Cheap’ is often cheap for a reason, but ‘expensive’ does not guarantee the best quality either. Therefore, it’s important to carefully evaluate a company’s credentials, work experience and customer references.
- Think ahead: Consider your future needs when making building plans. Do you intend to spend the rest of your life here? A bedroom on the ground floor will make it convenient to continue living in your home as you age. Is your family growing? Do family and friends visit often? An extra bedroom might be a good idea. Do you want space to entertain and host large gatherings? An open concept kitchen and living space would be useful. Plan the layout of your home by addressing these and similar questions at the start.
- Trends and technology: Stay on top of the latest trends and advancements, but don’t follow them blindly. Green building technologies, water-saving features and energy-efficient fixtures will help you save in the long run. However, color choices and creative designs are easily outdated, so choose a style that will stand the test of time.
- Avoid making changes mid-way: Consult an experienced construction company in the pre-construction stage to identify any issues with your overall plan. Cost analysis and better alternatives can help value engineer your project before construction begins rather than paying more to revise plans later.
Work with the Bay Area’s Preferred Home Building Company
Over 30 years of home building and remodeling experience, quality craftsmanship and exceptional customer service have made us the preferred choice of Bay area home owners. We consider it a privilege to construct your dream home and look forward to realizing your vision.
With an unwavering commitment to customer satisfaction, we continue to serve a growing roster of happy customers across Silicon Valley, including in Palo Alto, Los Altos, San Jose, Cupertino, Mountain View and Sunnyvale, CA.
Call 408-269-1101 or contact us online to learn more about how to start building your new home.