Criteria for Evaluating a Quality Home Improvement Contractor in the Bay Area
Key Criteria for Evaluating a Bay Area Home Improvement Contractor
Experience and Quality Are Critical Considerations
Planning a room addition to expand your space? Eager to modernize your Eichler but keep its’ classic style intact? Dreaming of your dream home right where you live? Hiring the right remodeling company can mean the difference between money well spent and many sleepless nights. Before you begin tearing down walls, learn about important criteria for evaluating a home improvement contractor in the Bay Area.
5 Tips for Selecting the Right Remodeling Company
- Arrange a face-to-face meeting: After you have your initial shortlist of contractors, schedule an in-person appointment with each to determine how well they communicate. Being on the same page is essential to realizing your vision. Ask how you will keep in touch throughout the project. Check if they will provide you with regular progress updates rather than only reporting when there are problems during the project.
- Examine their credentials: Always select a licensed, bonded and insured contractor. This will protect you from liabilities such as crew members getting injured on the job. In addition to their credentials, ask how long they have been in business. A company that has stood the test of time for decades has a reputation to maintain. You can expect a high quality of service and workmanship.
- Look for relevant experience: A contractor who upgraded your neighbor’s bathroom may not be equipped to remodel your Eichler. The right company is the one with sufficient experience handling the type of project you want done.
- Do not be afraid to ask questions: Educate yourself about the scope of your home improvement job. Understand what it might require in terms of permits and who is responsible for obtaining them. If you run into surprises like needing a new foundation to support a second floor or having to replace old wiring, for example, these can increase your project’s cost and extend the timeline.
- Understand what the quote includes: Examine the proposal closely to understand what you are paying for, such as specific products and materials.Make sure it lists all the details of your project including the start and completion dates. Get everything in writing, especially any fee waivers and discounts you are promised verbally. Miscommunication and hidden costs can significantly increase the final amount you have to pay.Be aware that the lowest bid is not necessarily the best choice. Some contractors may use inferior materials or take other short cuts.Ask for and check references for customer satisfaction before making a decision on whom to hire.
Finally, do not sign off on the project as “complete” until you are fully satisfied.
Hire a Trusted Bay Area Contractor for Quality Renovations to Your Home
At Flegel’s Construction Co., we have extensive experience with remodeling and new home construction. We offer something else that’s unique—a 12-month post-build support plan. This ensures we will return in a timely manner to make any adjustments required as you settle into your updated home. Count on our dedicated team of designers, construction experts and home building consultants to make you fall in love with your home all over again.
With outstanding craftsmanship and quality, we continue to serve a growing roster of happy customers across the Bay Area. You can see many of our successful projects in Palo Alto, San Jose, Los Altos, Sunnyvale, Mountain View and Cupertino, CA.
Discover more ways to evaluate a quality home improvement contractor in the Bay Area. Give us a call at 408-269-1101 to set up a consultation or contact us online.