Should You Stay or Go During a Home Remodeling Project?
Should You Stay or Should You Go During a Home Remodeling Project? Can’t Decide?
Understand the Pros and Cons of Both Options
Getting ready for a major home renovation is never easy. You may have to prepare your home and family for weeks of ongoing work involving tearing down walls, building additional rooms, replacing cabinetry and countertops, installing new flooring, and so on. Along with the eagerness to see your dream renovation take shape, you’ll also have to face the noise, dust and mess. It’s a common dilemma for homeowners—should you stay, or should you go during a home remodeling project? You’ll need to decide whether to start looking for temporary accommodations or reorganize your home and routine to manage the inconvenience. It’s best to know the pros and cons of both options.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Staying Home During a Renovation
Statistics from the National Association of Home Remodeling (NARI) show that 90 to 95% of homeowners prefer to remain in place during home renovations.
It may be akin to ‘camping out’ in your own home, but the advantages include:
- Saving the time and hassle of finding temporary lodging, such as a short-term rental, a hotel, or friends and family willing to share their homes with you.
- Saving the added costs and time associated with packing, moving out, rent or room charges and meals.
- Closer supervision of the renovation project, improving your chances of avoiding expensive rework.
Here are the key disadvantages of staying home during the renovation:
- The expense of ‘phasing out’ work can add as much as 5 to 20% to your overall renovation costs. Often, electricians, plumbers, or other subcontractors will have to make multiple trips to your site, especially if you have closed off some portions of the home for your stay and needs.
- Staying home would entail additional activities, such as daily cleanups, installation and removal of dust barriers, and frequent resealing of rooms. This will hike up the overall completion time and could add around 10 to 15% to the project’s cost.
- A family with children, seniors or pets may find it challenging to live through the dirt and dust, especially if you have allergies, respiratory issues, or other chronic health problems.
- The space crunch and constraints in carrying out routine activities can be disruptive for you and your family. Rising frustration and tempers may impact the quality of relationships, until familiar routines and lifestyle are back to normal.
Choose a Trusted Bay Area Contractor for Stress-Free Home Remodeling
Choosing the right contractor is the first step in ensuring a home renovation project without unnecessary stress and hassle. At Flegel’s Construction Co. we have extensive experience in home remodeling projects that enhance your lifestyle and suit your budget. With creative design solutions, skilled craftsmanship, and unparalleled customer service, we ensure that you truly enjoy the process of transforming your living spaces. Whether you choose to stay at home or move out during the remodel, you can count on us to deliver superior finishes, on time, and to your exact specifications.
Check out what our past clients across the Bay Area have to say about their completed home renovation projects.
Still unsure whether to stay or go during a home remodeling project? Discuss your concerns with the experts at Flegel’s Construction and learn more about our commitment to quality and customer satisfaction. Call 408-269-1101 or contact us online.