Living in Place Home Renovation Ideas
Stylish, Functional, Living in Place Home Renovation Ideas
Add Safety and Comfort to Your Forever Home
Remodeling your home to address your own or an elderly family member’s needs? A few thoughtful modifications will help make your home safe and comfortable for seniors. The makeover specialists at Flegel’s offer some living in place home renovation ideas to enhance the style and functionality of your home.
Home Design for Older Generations
An AARP study shows that around 76% of Americans (aged 50+) prefer to remain in their current residences for as long as possible. Although aging at home is a popular choice, it comes with several challenges. Designing homes for older generations requires careful thinking and meticulous planning.
Today, an increasing number of newer homes feature the principles of universal design. Essentially, these homes offer function and accessibility for occupants of all ages, sizes and abilities. While relocating or building a new home may not be your preferred option, you can apply these principles while remodeling your current home.
Here are some modifications that will allow you to continue living in place comfortably.
- Improve visibility: Well-lit spaces will not only help in preventing trips, slips and falls, but also offer enhanced visibility for those who have age-induced diminishing eyesight. Ensure that your hallways, stairways and task areas have adequate light fixtures and high-wattage bulbs. If your structure allows it, consider installing a skylight to bring additional natural light into your home.
- Facilitate ease of movement: Slippery surfaces or other obstacles on the floor present multiple risks, especially in a home with aging adults.
- Upgrade to slip-resistant flooring in high traffic zones and bathrooms.
- Widen your entryways and internal doors to accommodate wheelchairs and walkers, now, or in the future.
- Eliminate any thresholds between rooms and install a curb-less, wide-entrance shower stall or a walk-in tub.
- Consider knocking down a few walls to create an open floor plan and choose innovative customizations that reflect your needs and lifestyle.
- Make it easy on the hands: Most of us may not think much about a routine activity such as turning a doorknob. However, it could be quite tedious or inconvenient for those with limited mobility or chronic conditions such as arthritis.
- Replace knobs with simple lever-style hardware.
- Swap out old faucets for easy-turning ones and update your cabinetry hardware with handles and drawer pulls that offer a good grip.
- Install grab bars near the toilet, and in the tub and shower stall. Add handrails to both sides of your staircase, if possible.
- Raise electrical outlets that are too close to the ground to make them more easily accessible. This is critical in preventing any potential injuries caused by excessive bending or stretching.
- Create resting spots: Whether it is a bench near the doorway or a built-in seat in the shower stall, add landing spots that may come in handy if an older adult loses balance or feels exhausted during routine tasks.
- Bank on technology: There is no shortage of new technologies that you can incorporate in your home. From sensor-based lights, faucets and doors, to intelligent appliances and self-cleaning toilets, choose the features that best meet your requirements.
Redesign Your Living Spaces with Bay Area’s Premier Remodeling Contractors
At Flegel’s Construction Co., we are passionate about delivering quality home makeovers to your exact specifications and complete satisfaction. Our creative team has the experience to design for older generations, while our master craftsmen skillfully execute these designs to perfection. Count on us to create accessible spaces that serve your current and future aging needs while also reflecting your personal style.
Happy customers across the Bay Area vouch for our consistent customer service and seamless project delivery. We are committed to deadlines and work within your budget.
For more living in place home renovation ideas and designs to suit older generations, get in touch with the remodeling experts at Flegel’s Construction. Call 408-269-1101 to set up a consultation or contact us online.