Things to Do to Get Ready for a Home Renovation
Get Ready for Your Upcoming Home Renovation
Begin with Your “Things to Do” List
You’ve done the dreaming and visualizing, even the arguing and agreeing; now it’s time to get ready for your home renovation. With so many things to do, where do you start? Be smart; come up with a proactive plan that allows for a stress-free, efficient, and cost-effective remodel. The makeover specialists at Flegel’s offer useful suggestions to help you enjoy a positive remodeling experience.
Tips to Prepare for a Home Improvement Project
When you are contemplating a home improvement project, you already know ‘why’ you want to modify, expand, add, rebuild, or refresh certain areas of your home. However, chances are that you may not be sure of ‘what’ to change, or ‘how’ to make your home serve your needs and complement your lifestyle. It’s important to think about these details so you can look forward to a smooth renovation with minimal inconvenience.
With years of experience in a variety of remodeling projects, the Flegel’s team offers a handy list of the top things to do to get ready for a home renovation.
- Get ideas and inspiration: Look for inspiration in home improvement magazines, websites of remodeling firms, or other online resources, such as Pinterest and Houzz. If yours is an Eichler home, learn more about the history of this mid-century modern style architecture that is unique to its’ time. It may be worth visiting some of the Eichler neighborhoods in the Bay Area to check out how other homeowners have upgraded their homes while still retaining their characteristic charm.
- Find your style: Start tracking, collecting, or bookmarking ideas and images. The more you look, the more clarity you may have on your preferred style, which is especially useful when you meet with your chosen home renovation specialist.
- Collaborate with the right contractor: Find an experienced custom home renovation contractor who has the skills, vision, and resources to deliver clever design solutions and comprehensive services and make your dream home a reality.
- Map out a plan: After your chosen home remodeling contractor gives you a preliminary quote, take a pause. Consider the proposed timelines and budget and re-evaluate your priorities. For example, in times of the current coronavirus pandemic, when physical distancing guidelines are still in place, you may want to start with the outdoor projects on your list.
- Building or renovating a patio
- Adding a pool house
- Setting up an outdoor kitchen and grill
- Creating a separate entrance to the basement, or adding a room above the garage
These are the type of projects where the contractor and crew can complete most of the job externally, without stepping inside your home.
- Finalize the details: Once you are clear about the scope of work and choice of materials and finishes, sign a formal contract defining costs and timelines. This is also the time to arrange your finances and check about home improvement loans, if required.
- Decide whether to stay or leave: Depending on the magnitude of the project and the number of spaces that you are renovating, decide whether to ‘camp out’ in your home or move into temporary living arrangements. There are pros and cons to staying put during a renovation, so think carefully!
- Prepare your home and your family: While an efficient home remodeling specialist will ensure minimal disruption to your routine, it is important to prepare your home, yourself, and your family for the upcoming project.
- Inform your neighbors about the planned work schedule; they will appreciate the courtesy. If you live in a condominium, seek the necessary permits and approvals, or check whether your remodeling contractor will be managing those aspects.
- Identify a storage solution and clear out the areas that you are renovating.
- Remove any fragile or precious items from the rest of the home to keep them safe and prevent any unexpected loss or damages.
- Talk your family members through the various phases of the renovation and the adjustments they will need to make to their routines during that time.
Sometimes, despite everything you do to get ready for a home renovation, unforeseen circumstances affect the project costs and timelines and put a strain on your personal and professional relationships. Pay attention to the details and maintain open lines of communication with your family as well as your renovation contractor, to ensure a smooth and seamless home makeover.
Stress-free Home Renovations with Bay Area’s Top Remodeling Contractors
At Flegel’s, we are passionate about creating luxurious and functional spaces to your exact specifications and complete satisfaction. With over 30 years of experience in interior and exterior home renovations, you can count on us for our innovative designs, master craftsmanship, outstanding project planning, and consistent customer service.
Call 408-269-1101 or contact us online to discuss your home renovation project with the experts at Flegel’s Construction Co., Silicon Valley’s trusted home remodeling contractors.