Top 10 Favorite Features of an Eichler Home
Decoding the Epitome of Mid-Century Modern
Eichler homes have remained a coveted construction style for several decades. With smart design principles that redefine living spaces, Eichlers have many interesting characteristics. The experts at Flegel’s offer some insights into the top 10 favorite features of an Eichler home.
Understanding the Timeless Appeal of Eichler Homes
Built as affordable residences in the 1950s and 60s across Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area, Eichler homes are full of panache and amenities. No other construction style comes close to the minimalist design, open floor plans, and bright, airy ambience of the Eichler homes. In fact, many cities throughout the Bay Area have introduced guidelines for preserving and upgrading Eichler homes without detracting from their characteristic mid-century modern charm.
Here are the top 10 favorite features of an Eichler home:
- Exclusive detailing: Whether it is the simple façades, and clean, geometric lines on the exterior, or the innovative open concept living areas and exposed beams on the interiors, Eichlers offer charming details that make them truly unique.
- Roof references: Featuring distinctive post-and-beam construction, Eichler homes usually have flat roof lines or low-sloping A-frames. The Eichlers that feature a shingled hipped roof, clipped gables, and copious use of glass offer a beautiful modern take on the traditional, thatched English cottage.
- Indoor-outdoor living: Besides attractive indoor living spaces, Eichler homes bring the outdoors in. Generous-sized private backyards, floor-to-ceiling windows, and abundant skylights add a special touch to the typical Eichler home.
- Underground utilities: Preserving their clean lines and minimalist look, Eichler homes feature underground utilities. Which means, the vast network of cables and pipes transporting water, gas, or electricity is usually completely hidden.
- Potential for expansion: Most Eichler homes offer sufficient space and scope for expansions, as well as easy upgradability for 21st century lifestyles and preferences.
- Indoor-outdoor gardens: Whether it is impressive edible gardens on the inside, or decorative foliage on the outside, the bright and airy structure of Eichler homes have an organic way of encouraging gardening enthusiasts.
- Visual appeal: The exclusive construction style of Eichlers makes them easily recognizable on a street lined with different types of homes. Their distinctive visual appeal is a special quality in itself.
- Atrium models: The 1959-built East Bay area atrium-model Eichlers feature a low-slung mid-century post-and-beam profile. Sleek, operable covers on the central atrium allow you to switch between a sun-drenched look and a cool, cozy one by simply closing off the area to the elements.
- Double ‘A’ frames: Rarely available and highly coveted, the double ‘A’ frame Eichler homes offer a unique design and extra square footage. Soaring tongue-and-groove ceilings and expansive glazing makes these homes truly one-of-a-kind.
- “Super Eichlers”: These Eichlers are usually oriented around a large tree and offer even more rooms and spaciousness than the regular Eichlers. Also known as Gallery Eichlers, only a handful of these specific models exist throughout the state of California.
For Eichler Home Upgrades, Count on the Bay Area’s Premier Remodeling Contractors
At Flegel’s, we specialize in Eichler home repairs or remodels throughout the Bay Area. Our creative designers and skilled craftsmen are well-versed with the local guidelines and building codes that focus on preserving and maintaining Eichler homes. We offer innovative, lifestyle-friendly solutions to update your Eichler home and make it more luxurious and energy efficient, while retaining its distinctive style. When you hire us, expect nothing less than creative design, superior finishes, and consistent customer service.
Check out the Eichler makeovers we have done to understand the scale and complexity of the upgrades that we can deliver.
Upgrading an Eichler home in the Bay Area? Hire the trusted Eichler home renovation specialists at Flegel’s Construction Co. Call us at 408-269-1101 or contact us online to discuss your custom home renovation project.