15 Steps for Planning for a Major Home Renovation
Experts Suggest 15 Steps for Planning for a Major Home Renovation
Identify Your Goals, Decide on a Budget and Hire the Right Contractor
As you plan and execute your home renovation project, it’s important to know your end goal, set a budget, and consider how the renovation will impact your daily routine. Partnering with the right construction company can put your mind at ease about the details and the quality of the end result. To ensure a successful remodel, follow these 15 steps for planning for a major home renovation in the San Jose area.
Key Steps for Planning your Home Remodel
Our construction team put together a list of steps to help you avoid the struggles many homeowners find themselves in during a home renovation. Get ahead of the game with proper planning when you follow the steps below:
- Know Your End Goal. Are you selling your house or fixing it up for your family to enjoy? Also, consider what other homes in the neighborhood are like. Scale your renovation to achieve your goal.
- Set a budget. Outlining a budget can help you prioritize changes you wish to make. You should also include at least a 10% contingency fund for incidentals and unexpected costs.
- Map out the construction schedule. Pad in a few extra weeks to ensure you complete the project before the holidays or other important events.
- Conduct the necessary research. Find out as much as you can for every stage of the project, beginning with these tips for the planning stage. The designers and craftsmen at Flegel’s Construction have successfully completed many renovations in the San Jose area. So, feel free to pick their brains.
- Know when to ask for help. Perhaps your DIY home renovation hasn’t panned out the way you thought. After you decide which projects you could do yourself, determine whether you have the time to take them on. If you need help recovering from a DIY nightmare, the team at Flegel’s can provide a free quote on what it would take to get back on track.
- Ask your contractor for references. Even if you have already shortlisted a remodeling company, take that extra step to check their references. Reputable construction companies will be happy to share reviews and customer testimonials.
- Declutter and pack. Renting a storage pod to store and protect your belongings can help you declutter your home and make the renovation go more smoothly.
- Kid-proof and pet-proof construction areas. If you plan to live in your home during the renovation, take steps to keep your family safe. Installing child gates can prevent your children from getting hurt. Do you have pets? Loud, busy construction sites can stress out your cat or dog. Consider crating them or getting a trusted friend to keep them until the project is finished.
- Make a master to-do list. Keeping a comprehensive list can help you stay on task and adjust your budget or renovation plan as required. Work with your remodeling company’s project manager to ensure that you don’t forget items such as permits and supplies.
- Create drawings of your finished renovation. Whether you use software to mockup your desired changes or hire an architect, drawings help you and your construction team visualize the result. Work with a construction company that’s familiar with working with architectural drawings. This ensures that your finished project will look as good as it did on paper.
- Apply for permits as early as possible. Obtaining the proper building permits ensures that your remodeling project doesn’t violate structural and safety requirements. Choose a remodeling partner that understands local building codes and how to work with the appropriate authorities in your jurisdiction.
- Schedule cleanup time. Work with your construction team to establish starting and closing times that allow for daily cleanup. That gives you enough time to wind down at the end of the day if you live in your home during the renovation.
- Take the opportunity to make basic improvements. If you are stripping a room down to the studs, it might be a good time to consider whether to include electrical upgrades or improve the plumbing in your home. Although it adds to the project budget, improvements to the infrastructure of your property will increase the overall value, and they are cheaper to do during a renovation rather than at a later stage.
- Hire Your construction company well in advance. Book the help you need to complete your renovation ahead of time to ensure that you can finish the project on schedule.
- Check weather conditions. Your home renovation may include interior and exterior changes. Plan ahead to complete projects at the most advantageous time of the year.
At Flegel’s Construction, our team gives the appropriate care and attention to every aspect of your home remodeling project, from the first consultation to the final cleanup. We serve the entire Bay Area, including San Jose, Cupertino, Santa Clara and Mountain View.
To understand the key steps in planning for a major home renovation, you can rely on the courteous professionals at Flegel’s Construction. Contact us online with your questions and to book a consultation.