Want to Save Money on a New Home Build?
6 Tips from your Trusted Bay Area Remodeling Contractor
Dreaming of constructing your custom home? Learn how to save money on your new home build. There is nothing quite as exciting as constructing your personal haven from the ground up. However, impractical design ideas or other construction elements can quickly lure you down a slippery slope that can eventually bust your budget.
As the Bay Area’s premier construction experts, we know how to focus on cost control, shorten timelines and avoid expensive mistakes while building custom homes. The experts at Flegel’s Construction Co. suggest 6 ways to save money on a new home build.
Useful Tips to Keep Your New Home Building Costs in Check
From approval delays and labor hurdles, to materials availability and design expectations, one thing can lead to another, until your building expenses spiral out of control. Here are some cost-control aspects to consider as you build your custom home:
- Realistic timelines, practical budgets: Waiting to break ground could be both costly and frustrating. By the time the floor plan approvals, architectural reviews, sub-contractor selection and final contract from the builder come in, your financial arrangements could go haywire. Take into consideration that this is an uncontrolled environment, and let your plan reflect realistic timelines and finances.
- Account for the hidden costs: Your initial land costs and builder quotes may not be reflective of the all-in budget for your new home build. You may have to account for expenses related to topographical maps, fees and permits, mandatory contribution to local infrastructure funds, pre-construction inspections and more.
- Prepare for additional contingencies: Although you think you have prepared a comprehensive budget, additional expenses creep up when you least expect them. Set aside a contingency fund that helps you manage these unforeseen construction costs. This fund could also be useful for other living arrangements until your new, custom home is ready to move into.
- Explore cost-effective design elements: If you choose a floor plan with a smaller footprint but the same square footage, you may be able to save on site prep expenses, as well as costs for roofing or foundations. Similarly, avoiding dormer windows within the roof could save you the cost of additional framing and roofing. Ask your architect for design suggestions that save on building costs, as well as future maintenance.
- Consider innovative ways to save on the interiors: There are many smart ways to save money on the interior of a new build, without compromising the looks or quality. For example:
- Buy pieces of your preferred marble, granite or quartz for the kitchen countertops, instead of full slabs.
- Purchase floor model appliances, fittings and accessories that are in great condition and come with full warranty, just like the packed pieces.
- Upcycle rich, old, durable hardwood for your cabinetry, while also enhancing its original grain and beauty.
- Choose a forgiving aesthetic if that appeals to you. Achieve a chic rustic or industrial vibe by opting for unfinished edges or low-key finishes that are easy on your wallet.
- Be open to some DIY projects: Rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty building your own home can be exhilarating. Consider a do-it-yourself approach, especially during the finishing stages of the project. For example, why not lend your contractors a hand in laying down the wood flooring, putting up the backsplash or tiles, painting the walls, or even landscaping your backyard. You may achieve substantial savings on labor costs by pitching in at this stage. Not to mention the joy of working on your own home build and upping your handyman skills.
Bay Area’s Premier Contractor Delivers Cost-Effective New Home Builds
Choosing the right contractor is one of the first steps to saving money on your new home build. At Flegel’s Construction, we believe that delivering your custom new home within the agreed timelines and budget can truly help you enjoy the process of new home construction. With a team of highly skilled architects and master craftsmen, we ensure impeccable designs and flawless finishes for the luxurious new home of your dreams. Check out our portfolio of home renovations and new home builds in the Palo Alto, San Jose, Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Mountain View and San Jose areas.
Want to save money on your new home build? Call 408-269-1101 to schedule a consultation or contact us online.